My first cooking post and it had to start with my favourite dessert,the Banoffee pie. Banoffee, the name has come by joining the words ‘banana’ and ‘toffee’. The name suggests what the pie is made up of.
Ever since I tasted Banoffee pie years back at some bakery, it has been a constant in my life. But going out of the house everytime I had a craving wasn’t possible so, I decided to learn to cook this on my own. Banoffee has the following parts to it:
- Base layer
- Banana layer
- Toffee layer
- Whipped cream layer
- Digestive biscuits – 2-3 packs depending on how thick you want the base to be
- Butter – 200 grams
- Bananas – 6
- Whipped cream – 1.5 tetra packs
- Condensed milk – 400 grams
- Ground sugar – 150 grams
- Crush the biscuits either in a grinder or by using your hands
- Add about 100 grams of melted butter and mix till the mixture is lumpy.
- Set this mixture in the base of the container in which you wish to set your banoffee and freeze for 30 minutes followed by refrigeration for about 1 hour.
- To a heated pan add 100 grams butter, 100 grams ground sugar and condensed milk
- Cook all together till the mixture thickens and is brown in colour. Let it cool once ready.
3. Whipped cream:
- Whisk normal cream till it thickens or you could buy ready made whipped cream.
- Add about 50 grams of ground sugar to the whipped cream and mix well. Add or subtract sugar according to your taste.
Now that you have the parts ready , it’s time to layer them to set the final pie.First, take out the base from the fridge and add toffee to it. Level the toffee and add cut bananas on top. You could cut them in any way you wish to. I usually slice them vertically. On top of the bananas, add the whipped cream till all the bananas are hidden well. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving. Garnish with some caramel sauce/chocolate dusting before serving.
Trust me, once you get a hang of it, it’s really easy and ofcourse, you don’t have to travel far to get the ingredients. They are available in all grocery stores in Delhi. Do try and tell me how you found it by commenting on this post or emailing me at email@example.com
Happy Cooking! 🙂